- RSS Channel Showcase 8816828
- RSS Channel Showcase 7792811
- RSS Channel Showcase 9195296
- RSS Channel Showcase 9110155
Articles on this Page
- 08/16/17--16:38: _Judge will determin...
- 08/18/17--06:11: _Judge rules out dea...
- 09/03/17--13:56: _Here’s why 5 convic...
- 09/17/17--15:03: _Taxpayer cost for m...
- 09/22/17--11:34: _Scott Dekraai, Oran...
- 10/03/17--19:29: _Garden Grove’s Cand...
- 10/03/17--21:08: _Two Orange County m...
- 10/05/17--11:09: _California becomes ...
- 10/22/17--17:46: _Did firefighters mi...
- 10/23/17--18:44: _Canyon Fire 2 began...
- 12/17/17--06:45: _How a multimillion-...
- 12/30/17--19:04: _Rehab Riviera: Indu...
- 01/04/18--16:29: _Jeff Sessions, Trum...
- 01/12/18--13:44: _High school friend ...
- 01/15/18--17:05: _Blaze Bernstein sta...
- 01/17/18--09:00: _Suspect in death of...
- 01/17/18--13:35: _Bill aims to plug h...
- 01/19/18--14:25: _Quest for sobriety ...
- 04/06/18--05:00: _Deaths, financial c...
- 04/20/18--09:51: _Rehab Riviera: Addi...
- 09/03/17--13:56: Here’s why 5 convicted killers may benefit from the Dekraai ruling
- 10/05/17--11:09: California becomes ‘sanctuary state’ as governor signs bill
- 12/30/17--19:04: Rehab Riviera: Industry struggling to get clean
- 01/15/18--17:05: Blaze Bernstein stabbed at least 20 times in possible act of rage
- 01/17/18--13:35: Bill aims to plug holes in addiction treatment industry
In a Santa Ana courtroom Friday morning, Scott Evans Dekraai will learn whether he could face execution for the worst mass killing in Orange County history. After six years of delay and a series of controversies that rocked the county’s criminal justice system, Superior Court Judge Thomas Goethals has two options. He can open the […]
The worst mass murderer in Orange County history will escape execution, a superior court judge ruled Friday, Aug. 18. Judge Thomas Goethals took the death penalty off the table for confessed killer Scott Evans Dekraai, 47, because he concluded law enforcement would not ensure the defendant a fair penalty trial. Dekraai pleaded guilty to killing […]
For several convicted killers, the horrific case of Seal Beach mass murderer Scott Evans Dekraai is a potential legal gift. Last month, a Superior Court ruled that Dekraai — who admitted to killing eight people at a hair salon in 2011 — should not receive the death penalty because of misconduct on the part of […]
If all goes as expected, the worst mass killer in Orange County history, Scott Dekraai, will be sentenced Friday, Sept. 22, to eight terms of life without parole, one term each for the people he fatally shot in Seal Beach six years ago. But the sentence comes with a relatively high price tag after a […]
After years of legal wrangling and the removal of the death penalty from consideration, Dekraai is sentenced for the murder of eight people in a Seal Beach salon on Oct. 12, 2011.
The single mother recently adopted her 2-year-old niece.
Frasier was a Cal Poly Pomona graduate.
Gov. Brown's signature means that police will be barred from asking people about their immigration status or participating in immigration enforcement activities starting Jan. 1.
Internal reports that the Orange County Fire Authority bungled its initial response to the Canyon Fire 2 are prompting Supervisor Shawn Nelson to ask for an independent investigation of the fire that burned 9,200 acres and destroyed or damaged nearly 60 homes.
By the time a dispatcher ordered more engines and air equipment to the canyon – the "medium response" that department guidelines dictate for an active fire – the blaze had grown and was moving too fast for containment.
In California, even someone convicted of fraud or drug dealing or medical malpractice can make money in rehab, often through the vertical integration of insurance payments for urine testing.
“Instead of a recovery model, we have a relapse model.”
"This multi-billion dollar industry is now too big to be shut down by the federal government-- the legalization train has left the station,"
Bernstein, a pre-med student, had disappeared a week earlier after driving with a friend to a Foothill Ranch park.
Samuel Lincoln Woodward, 20, of Newport Beach was arrested Friday on suspicion of homicide and is being held in Orange County Jail.
The Orange County District Attorney's Office on Wednesday is filing one felony count of murder with a sentence enhancement for using a knife against Samuel Lincoln Woodward, the 20-year-old accused of killing high school classmate Blaze Bernstein.
SACRAMENTO – Outraged by reports of “patient brokering” and neighborhood turmoil, Sen. Pat Bates introduced legislation Wednesday to start addressing dangerous and deadly practices in California’s poorly-regulated addiction treatment industry. “For more than 20 years, several bipartisan efforts to address the challenges surrounding the state’s drug rehab history have gone nowhere due to opposition […]
The Southern California News Group found that at least 32 sex crimes, including rape and sexual assault, were reported to police in recent years from a sampling of treatment facilities in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties.
The son of a high-profile Chicago politician died in February at a sober living home affiliated with addiction treatment provider New Existence Recovery. In March, a co-owner of New Existence, possibly distraught over that death, died after an apparent overdose. In addition, last month, a man committed suicide by hanging himself at a mental health facility […]
Ads for drug and alcohol treatment soon will pop up again on Google searches — ending a company-imposed hiatus — but only from rehab centers that clear independent background screenings, the web giant said. “We work to help healthcare providers — from doctors to hospitals and treatment centers — get online and connect with people […]